|24-hour hotline : 23 922 922||
e-mail address : firstname.lastname@example.org
|Ref.:||TRA CR 1015/35
TRA CR 1015/33/1
2 July 2020
This circular informs traders of the U.S. export licence requirement for U.S.-origin electronics and telecommunications products export / re-export to or transfer within Hong Kong starting from 30 June 2020.
2. According to the Bureau of Industry and Security (“BIS”) of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s latest announcement on 30 June 2020 about the U.S.’ licensing requirements for export / re-export to or transfer within Hong Kong, with effect from 30 June 2020, U.S. export authorisation, which is usually in the form of an individual validated licence issued by the BIS, will be required for electronics and telecommunications products under Export Control Classification Numbers (“ECCN”) 3A001, 3A002.h, 3B001, 3B002, 3C002.a, 3C005, 3C006, 5A001, 5B001 and their sub-categories, amongst other types of products1.
3. There is no change to Hong Kong’s import and export licensing control on strategic commodities as required under the Import and Export Ordinance (Chapter 60 of the Laws of Hong Kong) and the Import and Export (Strategic Commodities) Regulations (Chapter 60G of the Laws of Hong Kong).
4. Traders importing the U.S.-origin products concerned are advised to liaise and check with their exporters / manufacturers, particularly to obtain the necessary and applicable U.S. export authorisation according to the latest requirements.
5. In this connection, since U.S. Licence Exception GBS is inapplicable for export / re-export to or transfer within Hong Kong with effective from 30 June 2020, TID will liaise with the licensees concerned to cancel the relevant unused licences. Otherwise, traders might risk themselves violating the relevant U.S. laws and regulations.
6. If you have any enquiry concerning this circular, please contact Miss Cas Lam at telephone number 2398 5575 or by email at email@example.com.
Strategic Trade Controls Branch
Trade and Industry Department
1 The U.S. export licence requirement applies not only on electronics and telecommunications products. Traders importing the U.S.-origin products are advised to liaise and check with their U.S. exporters / manufacturers, particularly to obtain the necessary and applicable U.S. export authorisation.